Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Review: Creamy Avocado Pasta


It has kind of been one of those days.

The kind where I just want to use every swear word in the book when I can't get a kitchen drawer to open because it sticks.

Sigh.

Just keeping it real over here.

Honestly, it has not been all that bad. Sure, the baby has been a little more clingy, but overall there have been some smiles, some giggles, some exercise and some book reading. Not too shabby.

What really sent me over the edge, however, was dinner. I found this recipe that sounded different but promising. Now, don't laugh, but the recipe was for creamy avocado pasta.

Did you laugh?

When I saw the recipe I got excited. I love avocados! And pasta! Plus, the whole recipe only takes 15 minutes, which is GLORIOUS. I had some hope in this recipe!

But...guys, it was gross. Forrest was sweet and said he liked it, but it honestly made me gag. Maybe because the pasta was gloopy and green, which made my taste buds expect pesto but was instead surprised with guacamole.

Every. Single. Time.

I tried sprinkling parmesan and red pepper flakes on it, but it just did not get better.

I hate flops like this. Thankfully the ingredients were not expensive and I used whole wheat pasta, but I will never make it again. I'll leave avocados for salads, burritos and healthy snacking. It just does not belong with pasta.

In case you are interested in the recipe (even after my scathing review) you will find it below, as well as a picture of said pasta that was taken just moments before pinching the palm of my hand in aforementioned shelves and biting back a string of words I'd rather Juniper did not hear just yet.

Ah, life.


Creamy Avocado Pasta
Recipe from Oh She Glows

Disclaimer: It is entirely possible that I made this wrong or got the ingredient proportions off. I had a large avocado and the recipe calls for medium. Her pictures make it look so good! So, maybe it is just my own taste buds that are against avocado with pasta. In any case, if you try it and love it, let me know! I'd love to hear.

1 medium sized ripe avocado, pitted
1/2 lemon juiced plus lemon zest to garnish
2-3 garlic cloves, to taste
1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
1/4 cup fresh basil
2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 servings/6 oz of your choice of pasta
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Bring several cups of water to a boil in a medium sized pot. Add in your pasta, reduce heat to medium and cook until al dente. I used whole wheat angel hair pasta so I cooked it for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the sauce. Place garlic cloves, lemon juice, and olive oil in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Add the pitted avocado, basil and salt. Process until smooth and creamy.

When pasta is done, drain and rinse and then put the pasta into a large bowl. Pour on the sauce and toss until evenly coated. Garnish with lemon zest and black pepper. Serve immediately. Makes 2 servings.

Please note: This dish does not reheat well due to the avocado in the sauce. Serve immediately.

No comments: