Thursday, September 26, 2013

Review: Healthy Cookie Bites

I love to make cookies. I always have.

I remember when one of my dear childhood friends would come over to play that we would, more often than not, choose to bake.

It was either that or instigate a mud war with my younger brother and his friends.

Despite our great love of baking, the results were not always...well...edible.

One memory that stands out was when this friend and I decided to make snickerdoodle cookies.

My family had just moved to a new house, and I was getting used to where everything was. Unfortunately, I did not know where the cookie sheets were, so, like the smart kid I was, I suggested we use cake pans.

Heart shaped ones.

Carefully we mixed all the ingredients and then poured the cookie dough into one of the heart shaped cake pans.

You know what's coming, don't you?

Maybe fifteen minutes later we smelled something suspicious. To our horror, the cookie dough, though cooked on the top, was bubbling out and over the pan. The oven was a disaster and the kitchen smelled like burned cinnamon. What's worse - yes, it gets worse - I fed my sick brother some of the uncooked batter slathered on a piece of toast. You know, cinnamon toast!

Guys, I was like 12 when this happened.

Well, I am happy to report that I have perfected my baking skills, not to mention common sense, since then. While I love to bake, my hips and belly do not appreciate the extra poundage that baking affords, so I am always on the look out for a "healthier" alternative.

I think I found it in these healthy cookie bites.

I think you'll like them too.

Some of the ingredients are not what I would recognize as pantry samples, but once you have them they'll last you awhile.

Also, these bites are great if you freeze them. After they had cooled completely I put them in a large ziploc bag and threw them in the freezer. It makes them a little chewier and more fun to savor.

They are also so delightful with a cuppa hot tea or a small glass of milk. Heck, coffee would be good with them too.

If you know of any other healthy treats or snacks, I'd love to hear!

Enjoy!


Healthy Cookie Bites
Original recipe from Oh She Glows

Incidentally, I got this recipe from the same place I got the creamy avocado pasta. She does have some good ideas and recipes - don't let my review of the pasta fool ya! :)

1 & 1/2 large, ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or 1 tsp vanilla extract (I only used 1/2 tsp of the extract)
2 TBS coconut oil, warm (or olive oil) (If you can, I suggest you get the coconut oil. Even Winco had it and it wasn't too expensive.)
1 cup rolled oats (I used old fashioned)
1/3 cup almond meal (Which is also called almond flour. I found it in the Winco bins next to all the other flours.)
3 TBS coconut, finely shredded & unsweetened
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp fine grain sea salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup chocolate chips or dark chocolate bar chopped

Preheat the oven to 350. In a large bowl mash the bananas with a fork, and then mash in the vanilla and softened coconut oil. In another bowl whisk the oats, almond meal, shredded coconut, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, then add the chocolate, stirring until combined. The dough is very loose and does not hold together very well. I used a TBS to scoop out some dough and then, with my hands, formed it into a ball as best I could. Place an inch apart on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 14 minutes, or until the bottoms are a golden shade of brown. Let cool for 20 minutes to set.

Okay, true confessions: I did not let them cool for 20 minutes. Forrest and I tried one pretty quick, and they were so good! They are not overly sweet like a normal cookie, but they are satisfying. Try them! You won't be sorry!

No comments: