Thursday, September 19, 2013

Zucchini Stew

When we woke up this morning it was cold.

Wonderfully cold.

It felt like Fall, and my heart could not be happier.

The day only got better with clear skies and temperatures in the high 60's. This is my favorite kind of weather, and all of a sudden Pocatello is not looking so bad. :)

This change in weather made me want soup, and since we had just been given quite a bit of summer squash, I decided to make my momma's zucchini stew.



Her recipe calls for 1 lb of ground beef, but since we just had those Swedish meatballs last night I decided to make this a vegetarian soup. I was not disappointed.

I also used some yellow squash instead of carrots because one of Forrest's classmates gave us a rather large one. Oh, and Forrest's Uncle Phil and Aunt Lura brought over some Idaho potatoes and frozen sweet corn so I threw in some of those too. That is just the type of stew this is. You can pretty much throw anything in it and it will turn out comforting and filling. Plus also it makes the house smell heavenly.


Do you like my chipped bowl?

Thanks, me too.

Without further ado, here is the recipe!
Enjoy!

Zucchini Stew
Adapted from the recipe of my lovely Momma

6 c diced zucchini
2 c diced yellow squash
1 potato diced
1 c sweet corn
1 chopped green bell pepper (I used a handful of Trader Joe's frozen Melange a Trois, which is red, green and yellow bell pepper strips. It is only $1.99!)
1 lg onion chopped
1 jar spaghetti sauce of your choice (I used Trader Joe's because it was what I had)
1 jar water from the spaghetti sauce
1/2 c ketchup (please don't use any of that stuff with high fructose corn syrup, okay?)
Salt & pepper to taste

Throw it all in the crockpot and set it to high for 6 hours. Serve with slivered basil or the herb of your choice.

A note on the back of my mom's recipe card says: "Freezes well!" which is great because this soup makes A LOT.

Now, take a look at my adorable child. You can tell she is feeling a little sick in a few of these, poor sweetie.

Sweet face

Roaaaar!!

Silly

Drooly


No comments: