Monday, October 14, 2013

Nap Troubles

This one likes to fight sleep.


In fact, those first nine months of her life made me despair of ever sleeping through the night again.

Thankfully, once she got her own room she started sleeping from 7pm to about 8 am. She'll still occasionally wake up in the middle of the night but she soothes herself back to sleep.

I'm thankful, real thankful.

I need my beauty sleep!

Naps, on the other hand, are still a daily struggle. Her morning nap, usually around 9, is relatively struggle free. She'll sleep anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours. It is the afternoon nap that is the problem.

In fact, the last few days she has not taken an afternoon nap because after 30 minutes of screaming I just couldn't stand it anymore.

I am puzzled. Is she trying to tell me that she only needs one nap? Do kids do that this early? I thought she'd stick with two naps for awhile yet, especially when her morning naps can be so short. Am I not wearing her out enough before the nap? Do I need to let her cry until she exhausts herself - even if that is 30 minutes or (gulp) longer?

I would love your advice! You can leave your sage wisdom at the bottom of this post, and I will be eternally grateful. :)

Love,
Elizabeth

PS: How was your weekend?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

both of my kids started on one nap around 1 year. It is really dependent on each individual kid. If she isn't taking two, you might want to try just doing one and see if she transitions well to it and isn't cranky. Who knows though, she may just be going through a phase. Just try a different things to see what works.

Anonymous said...

Adrien learnt to nap in daycare! he never liked sleeping but he learnt to put himself to sleep in school, as well as having a schedule, on the weekends, sometimes he doesnt take an afternoon nap, but he will sleep really hard at night. I don't have much advice, but I guess there is one good thing about daycare, and also maybe the fact that he is half Spanish and loves his siestas :) I think all kids are different so maybe they dont all have to nap twice? I feel that as long as he sleeps through the night, I am thankful, but also, I am not with hi full time so I am sure that would wear me off too! hang in there!

Franci said...

Eleanor switched to one nap around 1 too. Some days she still needed two, but they got shorter. I started to push her morning nap as long as I could so that it was more like 11am. It is a hard adjustment, but I kinda liked it cause I wasn't so tied to the house twice a day...just the once;). Anyway, good luck!! Eleanor has always been a nap fighter too. And it wasn't till she was 9 months old that she started sleeping through the night! Totally understand.

Mandi Huck said...

Caleb went to one nap around 12 or 13 months as well. He was a TERRIBLE napper all the time- rarely sleeping for more than 45 minutes at a time until we switched to just one nap. Then it got much better for us. I would say with her 13 hours of sleep at night and a possible 2 hour morning nap, and afternoon nap is highly unlikely at her age. I agree with Franci, just start pushing the morning nap back little bits at a time, until it pops over the gap to "afternoon/afterlunch nap."

tokyotuesday said...

I don't have anything to contribute with regards to naps and babies but...I couldn't not comment and say how much I adore the picture of Juniper. It is perfect for this post. Brilliant. Well done.