Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Review: The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith

Do you ever have one of those days where you just feel tired?

Me too.

Regardless, I really want to tell you about a book I recently finished called The Cuckoo's Calling.




J.K. Rowling as Robert Galbraith
Mulholland Books
2013
Audience: 21+
Genre: Mystery
 

Cormoran Strike is a wounded veteran trying to get his life put back together. Unfortunately, it is not going as smoothly has he would have liked. Business is slow at his detective agency, creditors are harassing him daily and, to top it all off, his fiancee just broke off their engagement. However, when a famous supermodel falls to her death and the police dismiss the case as suicide, Cormoron is hired by the bereaved brother to find the truth. Despite Cormoron's belief that the rising starlet did in fact take her own life, he still throws himself in to the case and is surprised to find that the truth is a little more complicated and twisted than he originally thought.

I put this book on hold before I realized who the author was. I had never heard of Robert Galbraith, but I have heard of J.K. Rowling. Word on the street is that someone leaked that Rowling was using Galbraith as a pen name. Maybe she used a pen name because her previous foray into adult literature did not go so well. I tried to read Casual Vacancy but could not tolerate the language, sex and tediousness of the plot. The Cuckoo's Calling, however, held my interest throughout and made me wish for more books about Cormoran Strike. 

Now, the book is long. I'm talking 464 pages long. I actually loved how long it was because I so thoroughly enjoyed the world that Rowling created. The pace is slow (obviously), but sometimes I enjoy a slow paced mystery.

Cormoran is a fascinating character. He is large, unattractive and has a prosthetic foot. Despite his shortcomings, he is extremely likable. I also loved the platonic, sweet relationship he has with his new secretary who is star struck and fascinated with the detective business.

Even though I kind of had a hunch about the murderer, I still enjoyed the development of the plot and reveal. If you enjoy a good mystery, give this one a chance. 

What I'm currently reading: September Girls by Bennett Madison

4 comments:

Sarah Emerson said...

I will have to read this! Thank you!

elizabeth said...

You're welcome, Sarah! I hope you like it!

cheri said...

Yep. Will have to add this to my growing list of books. Have I mentioned that I LOVE having a reviewer in the family? It's immensely helpful.

elizabeth said...

Ha! I'm glad to be of service. :)