Monday, October 7, 2013

To DIY or not to DIY

The house that we are currently renting has a very odd lighting situation in the living/dining rooms. Odd in that there are no overhead lights. Thankfully, we brought a few lamps with us, but I'm not sure that is going to cut it as the days start to get shorter.

While my parents were here, they bought us a lamp that I absolutely adore.


I love him.

Despite our three lamps, I am still a bit concerned about lighting in the dining area.

I'd rather not eat in the dark, you see.

I'm weird that way.



Here is a look at our current dining situation

 

(Notice the lovely roses? My love got those for me for Juniper's birthday. Also, the awesome "1" poster was made by the same guy for her party. More on that later.)

My mom mentioned that we could probably hang a light above the table and plug it in to an outlet nearby. (She's pretty smart)

Actually, it looks like the previous renters had the same idea because there is a small hole in the ceiling above the table.

So, I did a little research and found this idea:

Image retrieved from Etsy


Pretty awesome, right?

Instead of forking over $60, I was thinking I could just make it. I found this tutorial, and it seems pretty easy.

What do you think?

Should I DIY it or just buy it from Etsy?

Any other ideas for creative lighting on a budget?

Love,
Elizabeth

PS: Party pics and stories to come later this week! xo

No comments: