Thursday, November 7, 2013

The Goodness of Sauce

Ahhhhh....

The baby is asleep.
The sky is gray.
A hot cup of tea is beside me (Honey Vanilla Chamomile by Celestial Seasonings).
Dinner is already in the works.

I am so thankful for a quiet moment in the afternoon which are few and far between in the Johnson household. Part of the reason I am grateful has to do with a very yummy sauce that I have been meaning to tell you about.

As you already know, I make a big pot of beans fairly regularly around here. It is cheap, a good source of protein and everyone from the baby to the husband likes it. Plus, there are so many variations - beans & rice, enchiladas, burritos, chili, etc, etc.

However, here's the thing: sometimes I feel that black beans and rice is, well, bland. Even if I doctor it up with some avocado, cheese, and salsa, I still get the feeling that this is a poor man's dinner.

There is a place in Portland called The Whole Bowl which serves a bean and rice dish but it is anything but ordinary and poor feeling. I think it has to do with their sauce. I found a recipe for the sauce back when we were living in Portland, so this past week I wanted to find it again and recreate it. But, here's the thing: there is also a place in Portland called Cafe Yumm! and they have a special sauce too. For some reason, I googled Yumm sauce instead of Whole Bowl sauce.

I'm actually really, really glad I did.

The Yumm sauce is a little tart (from the lemons) and a little savory (from the garlic and spices) and it is heavenly on a plain old beans and rice bowl. In fact, it elevates the plain old beans and rice bowl to oh-my-gosh-I-could-actually-eat-this-for-every-meal-bowl.

The ingredients are simple and cheap which keep this meal in a lovely price range.

I hope you try it and love it as much as we do.


Yumm Sauce
adapted from the Original Yumm Sauce

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup almond meal or finely chopped almonds
1/2 cup cooked garbanzo beans
1/4 cup cooked soybeans or 1/3 cup tofu*
1-2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp tumeric
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp dried cilantro

Just put everything into your blender, food processor, magic bullet - whatever you've got, use it - and blend.

*I couldn't find soybeans at Winco and I loathe tofu, so I just added a few more garbanzo beans and it tasted fine.

One more thing, I couldn't find out how long this stuff is good for. I'm guessing a week in the refrigerator. Any other guesses?

No comments: